How to Identify the Signs of Gum Disease
Frequently referred to as periodontal disease, gum disease is characterized as an infection of the gum and bone tissues that help hold the teeth in the right place. This condition develops because of bad dental hygiene, allowing tartar to gather and to harden. When it's not treated, periodontal disease can cause serious issues for the gums and bone that keep the teeth in place. Periodontal disease is also one of the main causes of loose teeth in men and women in Pearland, TX. At Made Ya Smile Pearland, TX, we perform minimally invasive and surgical treatment options for our patients with any level of periodontal disease.
Symptoms of periodontal disease
Periodontal disease can oftentimes be hard to detect, which can make it nearly impossible to understand if you have it. This means that routine appointments and professional cleanings are an important step when it comes to identifying gum disease before it progresses. Some popularly reported indications of periodontal disease are:
- Discharge developing around the gums and teeth
- Seeing blood after brushing
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Missing teeth
- Receding gums
- Changes in tooth and jaw alignment
For patients who live in Pearland, TX and suspect they might have gum disease, our highly trained team will help you address it before it advances to more damaging stages.
Levels of gum disease
This condition comes in three stages:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis, the beginning stage of gum disease, is due to a buildup of plaque, affecting just the gum tissues. In this phase, the bone has not been attacked, so gum disease is still treatable.
- Periodontitis: In this phase, any problems to the gums and bone that hold your teeth in their ideal positions is not curable. Pockets could also develop underneath the gumline, catching food particles and bacteria. Periodontal maintenance treatments in conjunction with regular oral health habits will help minimize the chances of further problems.
- Advanced periodontitis: The last phase of periodontal disease takes place when the abscess has led to dangerous bacteria. This issue necessitates laser treatments or periodontal surgery to clean areas of bacteria beneath the gums. When not treated, wiggling or missing teeth, gum recession, and other serious problems will occur.
To summarize, taking care of gum disease as soon as you can is crucial. At Made Ya Smile Pearland, TX, we show our patients good oral health habits that help them avoid the progression of this severe oral health problem.
Treatments for periodontal disease
The treatment picked for you will be determined by the severity of your gum disease. Addressing gum disease promptly helps to minimize damage, as well as any need for surgical intervention. The aim of any periodontal treatment is to restore the condition of your gum tissues. Some of the most popular gum procedures performed at our Pearland, TX practice comprise:
- Scaling and root planing therapy: SRP therapy is a nonsurgical treatment that eliminates tartar around the gumline and produces a smoother enamel surface. Smoothing bumpy areas lets our talented staff remove bacteria and generate a smooth surface for the gum tissues to reattach successfully.
- Gum lift surgery: For this treatment, the gum tissues are raised so tartar can be efficiently removed. The gums are then positioned so the tissue sits comfortably around each tooth. This will minimize the open area between the gums and teeth, which deters bacteria from developing there in the future.
- Soft tissue and bone grafts: Gum tissue and jawbone grafts utilize fragments of the patient’s own bone or donated tissue to replenish areas of the jaw that were destroyed by the progression of gum disease, which will make the teeth more secure. Soft tissue grafts are performed to strengthen weak gums and to target regions where periodontal deterioration has occurred.
- Tooth restoration: In the event that the teeth become loose, we perform a catalogue of restorative dentistry treatments, such as crowns and dental implants, to improve the health of your smile.
Find out more about gum disease treatment in Pearland, TX
If left untreated, gum disease may progress to more dangerous phases. At Made Ya Smile Pearland, TX, our staff works with people and their families to help them bolster their gum health. For more information on gum disease solutions, or to set up an evaluation at our local office, contact our team.