For many years, traditional metal braces have been a tried-and-true method for producing a straight, gorgeous smile. This popular orthodontic treatment has gradually evolved with the times and is now more comfortable and effective than ever. Made Ya Smile is pleased to offer this reliable method for tooth and jaw realignment at our premier office in Pearland, TX. Our experienced orthodontists are skilled at treating patients throughout all phases of their orthodontic care. Using wires and brackets bonded to the teeth to achieve the desired alignment, traditional braces are an affordable solution for teens and adults alike. A large number of people still choose traditional metal orthodontics over new-age clear aligners because of how far along the treatment has come. Patients now have the option to customize their braces by choosing from a selection of colors for their rubber bands to show off their personality. If you or your child have crooked or misaligned teeth, take the steps to improve the health and beauty of their smile by contacting our office and scheduling an orthodontic consultation.
"Excellent service always on time very nice people"- I.L. / Google / Feb 05, 2020
"They're always thorough and professional and want to make sure you're comfortable during your visit."- B.G. / Google / Feb 04, 2020
"Convenient late afternoon appointments. Always on time."- R.R. / Google / Jan 25, 2020
"Outstanding"- L.F. / Google / Jan 18, 2020
"Great service and staff! I would recommend them to everyone!"- J.H. / Google / Jan 09, 2020
Traditional braces consist of wires and brackets that are bonded to your teeth to ease them into their proper positions over time, aligning the jaw as well. One of our skilled orthodontics will work with you and perform a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, and jaw to determine if traditional metal braces could be a solution for you. Your orthodontic treatment at Made Ya Smile will be entirely personalized to address your unique needs and smile concerns. Our orthodontist will then carefully the appropriate appliances to your teeth, which will create a smile that is healthy, beautiful, and straight over time. Typically, patients who can benefit from traditional metal braces are those who experience orthodontic issues such as:
- Crooked or overcrowded teeth
- Turned, rotated, or misaligned teeth
- Teeth that protrude outward
- Overbite, crossbite, underbite, or open bite
- Gapped or misshapen teeth
What to Expect
Placing traditional metal braces at Made Ya Smile is a quick and simple process thanks to the experience of our talented orthodontists. Before positioning your equipment, we will take digital x-rays and 3D cone-beam scans of your teeth, jaw, and skull to put in motion the most effective plan for your or your child's needs. We will also take impressions of your upper and lower teeth so our orthodontist can carefully examine how your teeth fit together. On the day that your braces are put in place, we will first clean your teeth to ensure the enamel is free of tartar and plaque deposits. Once your teeth are clean, we will bond the brackets to the front of your teeth using a clear bonding material. When all of the brackets are in place, our orthodontist will thread metal archwire through each one and secure the wires with your chosen colored elastics. After your braces have been put in place, you will need to return to our Pearland, TX office once monthly so we can monitor your teeth and adjust the fit of your braces as needed.
After your braces have been placed, you may experience some soreness and tenderness of the mouth, which can be relieved with non-prescription pain medicines. You may have to consume soft foods for several days to help make your recovery period more comfortable. Keeping up with a good and consistent oral hygiene routine will be crucial for your oral health because braces create many areas for plaque, bacteria, and food particles to accumulate. We typically advise our Pearland, TX patients to brush and floss after each meal to prevent tooth decay or other dental issues caused by bacteria and food. Our team can provide you with detailed cleaning instructions to help you keep your mouth clean and healthy. We can also recommend a range of products to make this easier on you. Depending on your unique situation, orthodontic treatment can last anywhere from 1 – 3 years. Once the active phase of your ortho treatment is complete, the retention stage will begin. At that point, you will have impressions taken of your teeth so a retainer can be made to keep your teeth and jaw in their proper positions.
While receiving orthodontic treatment, it can be common for wires, brackets, or elastic ties to become dislodged or damage with normal wear. To prevent this from occurring as often, we advise patients to avoid certain foods (especially hard or sticky foods). If you experience an issue with your equipment at any time, contact our Pearland, TX office as soon as possible so we can give you guidance and schedule you in at your earliest convenience. Some issues you may run into are:
- Soreness in the teeth or jaw: Soreness and tenderness in the teeth and jaw are very common sensations after the initial placement of braces and when you have your wires changed or adjusted. This discomfort can usually be treated with non-prescription pain medicine. To address any inflammation of the gums, saltwater rinses can be done to reduce this.
- Loose or poking wire: If a loose or poking wire is bothering you or causing pain to the soft tissues of your cheek, you can try to gently maneuver it back into place with an object such as a pencil eraser, tweezers, or a Q-tip. If you are unable to push the wire back into the bracket, you may need to clip the wire using sanitized wire cutters or fingernail clippers. You may also cover a poking wire with orthodontic wax or sugar-free gum.
- Loose band or bracket: If a loose bracket or band is still attached to the wire, you can leave it in place until you arrive at our office. Any uncomfortable or sharp areas that are irritating your mouth can be covered with orthodontic wax or sugarless gum. If you have a loose bracket or band that is still attached to the archwire, leave it in place until you are able to return to our office for an emergency maintenance visit. Sharp or uncomfortable areas that irritate the soft tissues of your mouth can be covered with orthodontic wax.
Depending on your provider and unique plan, some of the costs of your or your child's braces may be covered by dental insurance. Made Ya Smile in Pearland, TX accepts most major PPO insurance plans. To find out which insurances we accept, please contact our office. Your costs will be presented to you before your treatment begins. To help with any out-of-pocket costs, our office accepts a range of payments and will be happy to provide you with information about medical financing.
If you or your child are in need of orthodontic intervention to achieve the straight, beautiful, and healthy smile you want, contact Made Ya Smile in Pearland, TX. Using advanced techniques, traditional metal braces have come a long way in recent years and are now more comfortable and effective than ever. Our experienced team of skilled orthodontists looks forward to customizing your treatment plan and helping you attain a gorgeous, seamless smile. To learn more about your orthodontic options at our premier dental office, call today.